Monday, October 1, 2012

PERILOUS QUEST

Perilous Quest is my current project. It's a solo play dungeon crawl RPG.
It occurred to me that a lot of mythological heroes did their questing alone, not in groups like most RPGs support. So I took a leaf from Castle Ravenloft's book and started playing with the idea of a sort of 'artificial intelligence' system to run the bad guys. It's pretty easy to run the dungeon itself using cards to determine the rooms encountered (much as Warhammer Quest did back in the day) treassures accumulated and the enemies met.

I have been tinkering with the rule system for a while. Basically the core mechanic is this: each skill is associated with one of the character's stats. When you use the skill, you roll a number of D6s equal to the stat and try to roll over a particular score. You can earn bonuses to this roll by taking more ranks in a skill.

I plan to use my existing series of Fantasy Tiles to play the game - obviously I'll need to develop cards for the rooms. I'm also going to use the existing paper craft figures I've been designing for a few years for the various heroes and villains. I'll be doing up some new rooms and new figures as well. The intention is to get the system working and release a 'core game' which will then be supplemented by a range of adventure packs. The Core Game will include a starting adventure - The Underpants of the Orc Lord (no really) and it's easy to randomly create adventures as well.

I'm pretty excited about this one, but there's a lot of work involved so it'll be a while before you see much of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment