Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Top Dog Reviews: Eat Poop You Cat

I've decided to do some game reviews on this blog, but I want my first to be something a bit... different.
I could just rush out and buy the shiniest, newest board game everyone is raving about and join in, but then, everyone else is doing that. So my first review is a game I stumbled on over on Board Game Geek, which doesn't even come in a box.
It's called 'Eat Poop You Cat' but when I use it in my class room, it's called 'Paper Telephone'.
And it's a real game.
Despite the name.

What's in the box?

Nothing. It doesn't come in a box. Actually there's a form which you can buy, but who wants to spend money?

How do you play?

Okay, you get a group of friends and you each take a piece of paper and a pencil. Everyone writes a sentence at the top of their page, and passes the sheet to the player on their right. That player then tries to draw a picture of what is happening in the sentence. They fold the paper so only the picture is visible, and pass it along. The next player writes down what they think the picture shows, and folds the paper so only their sentence is visible. This keeps going until you run out of paper, and unfold it to see what happened. Hilarity ensues.
I play this regularly at family gatherings, and it's never fallen short of abject laughter. Particularly famous examples include 'The Lion suffers from premature ejaculation by a water hole' and 'The sheep perform a dance expressing their joy at their regularity' (These started as 'Down by the river, a Lion attacks a Zebra' and 'The Dark Dog Does a Diabolical Doo-Doo in the Doorway' respectively)

How hard is it?

It's a very easy game. I play with my family, and they have no problems. I also use it for my yr.7 English class on occasion.

What's the replay value like?

Very high. It's a simple game, it's a hilarious game, and no two sessions are ever the same. We've played it for over a year, and my sister-in-law still insists we play it at family gatherings ahead of all the shiny, fancy board games we have accumulated as a family.

The Verdict:

Eat Poop You Cat scores:

Clarity of rules:

Depends on how well I explain them... they're not written down anywhere since it's just a game I found on the internet. It's not hard to explain, and not hard to grasp.

Learning curve:

Once you figure out which way to fold things, and which way to pass, there's nothing much to learn.

Fun:

Ludicrously high fun levels for such a simple idea.

Replay value:

It's very VERY replayable. 

Presentation:

Er... it doesn't have any. Like I said, it's an idea I found on Board Game Geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment